Silent Hill Reboot Rumours Finally Addressed By Konami

Konami has finally addressed the most recent Silent Hill rumours that have been doing the rounds, and… it’s probably not the news you were hoping to hear. Unless the new you were hoping to hear involved Konami completely denying all claims that a Silent Hill reboot is in development, in which case you just got exactly what you wanted.

Over the past few weeks, Silent Hill speculation has reached fever pitch. We’d heard multiple reports that Konami was actually in talks with Sony to release two games in the silent hill franchise. One was supposedly a complete reboot with many of the original team on board, and the other was said to be a revival of , with Hideo Kojima taking full creative control of the project.

Silent Hill Reboot Rumours Finally Addressed By Konami
Silent Hill 2

Some of you may remember that Kojima and Konami parted on really awful terms, which is part of the reason we assumed we’d never see them work together again – much less on a Silent Hill game. Despite this, the reports claimed that Sony was serving as mediator between the two parties, and that some kind of agreement had been reached to revive as an episodic VR experience for PS5.

If it all sounds too good to be true… that’s because it was. At least according to Konami. In a statement given to Rely on Horror, a Konami spokesperson said: “We’re aware of all the rumors and reports but can confirm that they are not true. I know it’s not the answer your fans may want to hear… It’s not to say we are completely closing the door on the franchise, just not in the way it is being reported.”

Upsetting news to hear, sure, but it’s not the end of Silent Hills completely. Konami confirmed in its statement that it’s not “completely closing the door on the franchise,” which isn’t exactly the most reassuring way of wording it… but it does make it sounds like something is in the works.

Silent Hill Reboot Rumours Finally Addressed By Konami
Silent Hill 2 / Credit: Konami

This echoes a statement from the company from last month. “We cannot share anything at this point, but we are listening to customer feedback and considering ways to provide the next title,” the company said. Again, it’s all rather noncommittal, but it’s better than an outright “nah, never again”.

There is, of course, the slightest chance that Konami is lying in order to preserve the surprise of a reveal. I wouldn’t hold your breath though. The wait for a new Silent Hill continues.

Releated

Facebook’s Zuckerberg promises a review of content policies after backlash

BY THEREDNOW STAFF (Therednow) – Facebook (FB.O) CEO Mark Zuckerberg on Friday said he would consider changes to the policy that led the company to leave up controversial posts by President Donald Trump during recent demonstrations protesting the death of an unarmed black man while in police custody, a partial concession to critics. Zuckerberg did […]

EA’s New ‘Rocket Arena’ Is More Than Another Battle Royale

BY THEREDNOW STAFF Y’know when games get revealed and they don’t really do it for you, at the first time of asking? I definitely got the impression that, after its spot on this year’s EA Play presentation, that has firmly fallen into that category. What was shown off covered some key bases: this is a […]